Identify a particular image that stood out for you in Chapter 1. Describe in detail what you envision and why you think it struck you. End your post w/ a question.
In chapter one on several pages the term "Apikorsim" pops up, meaning "a Jew educated in Judaism who denied basic tenets, his faith like the existence of God, the revelation, the resurrection of the dead."(Page 28) Page 28 talks about the character Danny Saunders, during the baseball game, promising to his team to "kill us apikorsim". I imagine Danny's remark as almost pompous, arrogant and really proud; kind of like a "Oh this will be a piece of cake" situation. This phrase also appears on page 30 again as well, when the yeshiva team was yelling in Yiddish to "kill us apikorism". I imagine the yeshiva team yelling this, kind of in a mocking tone, maybe in an attempt to intimidate the other team. This struck me because I think that there is a conflict between these teams more than is mentioned. The term that they use kind of hint at almost a feeling of superiority or of higher sophistication. This was also mentioned in the book later on page 28. I am just curious to see if the conflict worsens. But also could the mention of the yeshiva team believing of their higher superiority, of their sophistication and direct and alone connection with God, that this may later on come in to play with what the title of the book means?
You raise and interesting question. I think that the intimidation that the others set can be bewildering. I also think that this intimidation and obsessive behavior by Reuven could eventually lead to a problem later on. I think that this will definitely grow over the course of the story. However, I am unsure of any way the title could play yet.
I always am curious to find out the significance of the title. In this book, the name "The Chosen" seems to be in stark contrast to a relatively informal baseball game, although the central focus on Judaism provides a possible path for the title to take. For me, personally, Judaism and Baseball are both very interesting, although with one subject I have been a fanatic for years, and with the other, I know very little. I am excited to see the story unfold.
I absolutely love the start to this book. The way they immediately start with Danny in the very first line letting us know that he'll be a key player in the book with Reuven. The first few pages really appeal to me. I love the image they paint of the neatly portioned off sections of the city. Each with their similar, yet different cultures with their own particular rabbi and own particular garments. It makes me think of a town at night with it all being quiet after long days of study in the yeshivas. It's a quiet, peaceful image that makes it feel that despite the conflict that'll inevitably arise in the book the tone will be quiet and introspective throughout with long portions of thought and perspective. I'm really curious to see as to how Danny plays into the book. The fact that he was mentioned on the very first page really has me curious. The fact that the only conflict with Danny so far has been him nailing Reuven in the head with a baseball after giving him a crazy look and the quieter tone of the book makes me think that those two will resolve their differences quickly and some common conflict might bind them together as friends. I wonder what will happen between them?
I agree, the start of the book paints a very detailed image into the mind. I, having personally lived in a place like that, imagine it almost identically. I also noticed the difference in culture around the city and it was interesting. I feel as if there is almost a sort of social hierarchy in the schools; seeming like they are "rivals" in their religious practice. I wouldn't say its like a West side story gang turf-war,but None the less, I still wonder if the conflict will be resolved or if it might even get worse. My prediction is that it most likely will get worse and then be resolved much later, as the story continues. I'm curious to see how this will turn out.
The image that stood out for me was Danny Saunders. The hatred between the two teams was so bad and how Reuven describes how Danny was ready ,standing still and staring at him, and how his eyes were dark , and his lips were parted in crazy grin. And no one really seemed to care about the hatred between the two teams. Reuven was kind of prepared of what was going to happen but he didn't quite know how bad it was. Danny hit the ball so hard that it made Reuven almost pass out. I understand that this is a competition between two school , but in that game it was more of a war than a competition. These kids had the same religion except that each of them had their own tradition ,and own synagogue but they were all jewish and they have the same goals so why hate each other like this at the point where they almost killed each other. The other thing is about their rabbi how could they tolerate such a behavior?
This is a good question. I feel as if the Rabbi tolerates his team’s behavior due to the fact that he feels as if the other team does not practice their religion properly, and thus deserves to be defeated in such a cruel manner. I feel as if both teams are set in their ways and loyal to their own belief systems. They feel as if their religious practices are the only way. With this mentality, they are not thinking about playing a game for fun, yet have moved on to defending themselves, their ways, and persecuting those who are unlike themselves. I feel that throughout the course of the story tolerance may develop between the two teams, or, at least, between Reuven and Danny.
I think you pose a very interesting question. Throughout the whole first chapter the rabbi only looked up from his book a few times. He made no effort to coach the boys nor did he scold them for being poor sportsmen. It seems that their values in their perspective sects differed causing tension even though they all practiced the same religion. It seems that Danny and his team cared more about proving superiority than playing for fun. I wonder how things will change.
In chapter one, during the softball game, neither of the teams show very good sportsmanship. This negatively affects Reuven, the narrator. While they are playing, Danny’s Hasidic team is continuously mean to Reuven’s Orthodox Jewish team. It is evident that Reuven is fazed by the attitude of the other team, and he is passionate about proving the worthiness of his team. After the pitcher allows Danny’s first hit to fly over the mound, Reuven is ready at second for when Danny comes up to bat the next time. The image of Reuven’s anger and frustration popped out at me because all he wants at this moment is to win the game and to show the skill of his team. Danny proceeds to slam the third pitch right above the pitcher’s head and it comes straight for Reuven: “...I heard the yeshiva team shouting and Sidney Goldberg screaming, and I jumped, pushing myself upward off the ground with all the strength I had in my legs and stretching my glove hand till I thought it would pull out of my shoulder. The ball hit the pocket of my glove with an impact that numbed my hand and went through me like an electric shock, and I felt the force pull me backward and throw me off balance, and I came down hard on my left hip and elbow” (30). The catch hurt Reuven’s body, and as a reader, I imagine the extreme forcefulness of Danny’s hit. This emerged as important because I can picture Reuven’s unbelievable sense of accomplishment and surprise in this moment. Why is there such a conflict between the two teams that makes the softball game less of a joyful experience and more of an intense fight?
I'd imagine that it'd have a lot to do with the disdain and dislike between the two religions. Young boys have a habit of taking their parents' prejudices seriously, and it doesn't seem unlikely that it'd manifest through a baseball game for them. Though, perhaps not to that degree.
I agree with you , i think it should have been more of a fun experience than an intense fight, but on the other side of the story the jews were being killed which might have caused the anger between the two teams. But they had no reason to hate each other on that point because after all they were on the same side, they were both jews.
The first paragraph that introduces Davey Cantor is particularly striking to me. I was able to picture Davey almost as soon as I met him. Although there was no significant details in the initial description of his physical appearance, I saw him as a slightly chubby boy with sandy brown hair (although in the story it said his hair was dark), who perhaps was not the most popular boy. The paragraph continues with a conversation between Davey and Reuven. They talk about the game, Davey feeling worried, while Reuven appears unbothered. I could just see them; Davey, standing slightly hunched, pushing up his glasses and looking nervously up at Reuven, who stands tall and confident, dismissing Davey's concerns easily. This passage stood out to me because Davey and Reuven's conversation gave me a strong feeling of foreboding about the upcoming game. Davey seemed to know so much and tries to warn his teammate about the other team, but Reuven refuses to listen to him. However in the end, it is clear that Davey was right all along. Davey definitely appears to me as an underdog. His presence in this chapter makes me wonder if he will become a bigger character as the story progresses. I also wonder: will my idea of him change as time goes on and I get to know him better?
This is an interesting question. I am not sure what kind of a role Davey will play over the course of the book. It's possible that Davey's character was mainly created to foreshadow what was to come, but leave the reader doubtful of whether he was right. However, Davey did play an interesting role in this chapter. He seems to have connections and access to information about the Yeshiva team that the other players on his team do not. He seems to be the person who connects the groups together–maybe this will matter later in the book.
Nearing the end of this book the tension was building. Reuven became very upset with the other team and Danny in particular. It was evident that something was going to happen. On page 29, right after Danny missed the curve ball it was clear that he was prepared for war. Previously, we had the knowledge that Danny Saunders had a habit of aiming his swing right at the pitcher. I felt for Reuven and the amount of pain he was in from catching Danny’s hit an inning earlier. I could imagine the ball coming at his face, hitting of the fingers of his glove, and smashing him in the face. I could see him on the ground bleeding with everyone else swarming around him. I think this stuck to me because I play sports. Whenever someone is injured, especially in the head, everyone swarms around to make sure our teammate is alright. It seems that Danny Saunders does not care who gets hurt along his war path. He just wants to win, by “murdering” the other team. What role is Danny going to play in Reuven’s life?
I think you voice a good question. It seems as though both Rueven and Danny are going to become the main characters in the book, so they must eventually be connected to each other’s lives. It appears that there will be two main options in Reuven and Danny’s relationship. Either they will both hold a grudge against the other and have a relationship founded on hatred, or they will be able to overcome what happened at the game and become friends. So far, there has been no indication of which category Reuven and Danny’s relationship will fall under, but I am inclined to think that Rueven will definitely try to reach out to Danny and become friends because that seems to be the kind of person he is. However, the real question is whether or not Danny will want to be friends.
To me, the most striking image in this chapter was on the last page. Reuven is sitting on the bench, and on top of the pain he is in physically, he is also watching a game that should have been a hard won victory become a defeat, and there is nothing he can do about it. He noted earlier in the chapter that this game had seemed to become more important than other games– “I felt a sudden momentary sense of unreality, … as if all the previous years of my life had somehow led me to this one ball game, and all the future years of my life would depend on its outcome” (29). A victory for Reuben’s team would not just feel like a game that they had won, but a war. This moment is followed by his fantastic catch that, though it leaves him injured, seems to have set up the team for a win. Then he is injured too badly to continue playing, and the trajectory of the game changes. He watches in despair from the bench as his team loses the game, and the pain in eye does not subside. It feels to him as if he is watching his whole life slip away. Would this dispute between the schools have become real to Reuben, as did in the game, some other time if the game had never been played?
The answer to this question will play an important role in the story, because if the two groups of boys continue to fight like this, it will inevitably result in conflict. I think that the game created a strong perception of the "war" for Reuven, but I also believe that he would have reached this conclusion without the game. There is obvious tension, so I think it would have been an issue anyway. This friendly competition between the two teams turned into a serious battle, so what's to say that it wouldn't happen in a different situation?
One set of images that stuck out for me were Reuven's descriptions of the Rabbi coach throughout the game. During the duration of, most of, the game Reuven seems distinctly unfazed by his friend, Davey Cantor's, warnings of the ruthlessness of the other team. For me, the sections where the other team's coach was depicted, set the tone of fear Davey was trying to warn his friend of. When the opposing team came to the game, the scene where the Rabbi requests a five minute period of practice, set the tone for that character. He was commanding, and seemed to have an unprecedented sense of calm and assurance in his players, which appeared to be unsupported by his team’s playing skills. Through the entirety of the game, he is shown reading and generally removed from the activity at hand. This solidifies the fact that the beginning of the game was, the calm before a brutal storm. Also, Davey’s promise of a murderous team would soon be confirmed. This vision of a confident man who was content being removed from the situation, leaving the power and the fate of the game in his player’s hands, was particularly powerful for me. This image starkly contrasted that of Mr. Galanter’s hands on coaching style, making it even more of an omen of something unexpected to come. These images were especially powerful, as they were used as a foretelling. I feel as though the author would have found them superfluous and removed them, if not used in this context. I wonder if there will be more repeated sets of descriptions lending clues into the future?
The beginning of this book was very intriguing. Chaim Potok spins the predicaments of baseball, Judaism, and World War II together seamlessly. Already, in the first chapter I am hooked and have learned much about Judaism in America during the this time. The image that still lingers in my head from this chapter is the one of the Rabbi. He immediately makes a powerful entrance demanding his players get practice time. His arrogance and righteousness overpower any chance for argument from Mr. Ganter. While the baseball game is ongoing he continues to read his book and gives off very little emotion or structure to his players. To some this may come off as relaxed, however, to me he it seems as though he knows he will win. He thinks because of his devotion to Judaism he will prevail, and that non devoted “apikoros” have no chance. He does show a face of shock when Reuven makes the “sensational” catch. Throughout the first chapter the relationships between Jewish communities is shocking. The communities seem to look down on each other. While World War II rages on I would expect more unity. Why is it that Orthodox Jews during this time still seem to think less of others in the same religion while the terrors of World War II happen?
I agree that the Rabbi projects a very arrogant vibe, but overall, I found him strangely creepy. As his players screamed out "kill the apikorsim" in Yiddish, he did nothing to reprimand them for such violent and threatening words. The massive amounts of hate towards the opposing team for minuscule religious differences is frightening. As you said, you would expect more unity between the different sectors of Judaism, especially during something so horrible as the Holocaust and World War II.
Interesting question…. I think the reason that the Jews we have encountered so far in the book show animosity towards the different sects of their religion is because of the events of their time. Around World War II, there was so much hate that was being preached by the world’s leaders, especially directed at the Jews, that that anger and hate spread to everyday citizens. I think the boys in the book are showing animosity towards each other because of the hate that their parents show toward each other which is influenced by hate from people of power seen in the media and in government. (Posted for Owen from a Google Doc)
The moment in which the baseball knocked Reuven to the ground personally created extremely vivid imagery. I imagined Reuven experiencing that split second of realization that the ball is hurtling straight for his face, stumbling to protect himself in time, and eventually recognizing there is nothing he can do to stop it. After Reuven is sprawled on the ground and his teammates have surrounded him, he notices the injuries that are emerging from his body: “I felt a sharp pain in my left eye when I blinked. My wrist throbbed, and I could feel the bump coming up on my forehead.” Even with all this pain, he doesn’t understand “what all the fuss is about”. He felt as though he was in fine condition, and the only real casualty was his glasses. His reaction stood out to me because of my own reaction to a skiing accident I had when I was seven. Once when I was going down a black diamond trail, I hit a slick spot and fell backwards right as a woman was skiing behind me. As I fell, the tip of her ski stabbed the bridge of my nose, straight between my eyes. At that moment, I was in a lot of pain, but I didn’t think the cut was serious. Only when I reached the bottom of the hill, and went inside the bathroom did I realize the severity of the cut. A question I’ve always had is, why was I, and Reuven, not clued in to the obvious seriousness of our injuries? Why wasn’t the opposing team bothered by Reuven’s injuries?
“They’re murderers.” “Sure,” I said. “No, really. They’re wild.” “You saw them play?” “Twice. They’re murderers.” “Everyone plays to win, Davey.”
This dialogue is vivid. As a reader, my mind took no time to figure out the scene, to imagine the voices, to hear their tones. The dialogue was not only reminiscent of the conversations and arguments that occur before a ballgame, the dialogue on the page was the dialogue in the dugout. There are always players who are convinced that their team will win, and there are always players who are convinced with the utmost certainty that the other team will kill them. Although the book is set more than seventy years ago, in a strictly Jewish area of New York City, every detail of the game -- the players, coaches, umpires, strategies -- all line up in harmony with a current Thetford Academy baseball game. Although our ferocity isn't fed by religious differences, we find other petty reasons to have a distaste for our opponents. For example, Thetford Elementary teams I was a part of often manufactured competitiveness by stereotyping Hanover and Norwich teams into “those pompous, snobby rich kids”. Although it's not quite related to my image, my question is this: What is the significance of the opposing coach’s demeanor? He is reading a book, seemingly uninterested in his team, although he does look up from his book and react to the game a few times. Potok comes back to this again and again, why?
I believe that the reason the author gives the opposing team's rabbi this personality is two fold. Firstly he wishes to allude to the rabbi's personality. The rabbi obviously cares about the game yet seems to prioritize his scipture, as if he has such faith in his beliefs that they will carry him to victory. This conveys the rabbi's intense religious faith. Secondly I believe that the rabbi's detached demeanor is meant to add to the general disgust he and his team have for the team of the protagonist. By not paying close attention to the game the rabbi adopts an aura of righteousness and superiority over his opponents that his players seem to share. He sends a silent message that his opponents are not worthy of his gaze let alone his respect. This brings the level of conflict between the two teams, and transitively the two sects, to a whole other level.
In chapter 1 an image that stood out for me was when Reuven suddenly became extremely angry on page 28. I can picture him looking in at the batter from second base, thinking about the game, and the other team. I also find it reasonably for his anger to turn into hate against the other team. In addition, Reuven felt at this point like the game had turned into a war for him at that point because of his desire to win. This image stuck out at me because I too have experienced games where suddenly I began to feel like the game turned into the most important thing in the world for me. A must win situation. I find it interesting that Reuven had an experience of such hatred. Will Reuven have an experience where his anger turns into hate in a more serious situation than a baseball game?
I thought that the description of both the visual and cultural setting of the baseball game invoked significant imagery. It set the stage in a wartime America and an area populated by people of different religious sects. For me the baseball game perfectly represented the tensions between the different Jewish sects of the time. I think that using the emotions and actions of children to describe more general social conditions is especially powerful because they often purely embody the ideals of their environment. Initially it would seem that these different sects of Judaism have most things in common and little to argue about. However it becomes unsurprisingly clear that even subtle religious disparities among people can have resounding cultural affects. Will at any point in the story these stark divisions be reconciled? Maybe in service of a higher purpose or mutual need?
You bring up an interesting point. The baseball game and what Reuven is thinking during the game make it very clear that there is significant turmoil among the Jewish sects in New York City. And which unless I had read this chapter I would not have understood. It is interesting to see one particular sect of the Jewish faith display that they believe that they have the correct take on Judaism. If there are people who believe that they are correct they most likely wont be swayed the other way so I do not think that the will reconcile.
William B., I like the point you are making. It's quite thoughtful. Specifically, though, which image at the baseball game are you responding to? (There are many, right?)
The Rabbi’s unorthodox behavior was what I found the most interesting. When I think of the characteristics of a Rabbi I think of wisdom and understanding, really what a religious leader of any religion should be. The Rabbi misuses the power that is given to him because of his position. He manipulates the young baseball players. “Remember why and for whom we play”(10). The Rabbi is using the young boys faith to win games to boost his sects importance. A lot of things can be inferred upon hearing this line. The Rabbi could use the power of God to threaten the children, if they lost the would be punished because they would have lost in the name of God. Since they also think themselves above all of the other sects loosing to a team made up of ‘lesser’ people would have been excruciatingly shameful. The Rabbi taught his players a very unsportsmanlike lesson: to win at all costs. The Rabbi smug confidence rubbed me off the wrong way. He sat reading a book while his team played, he believed that his team would win, only when it became a closer game did he pay attention. His mannerisms were shocking given his position of power in his community. Possibly Rabbi believed that a sure way of elevating his sects influence and importance was to dominate in baseball, to become notorious. Why else would he act this way?
Good observations, William. I agree that he is exploiting the children to a degree. What you have written is pretty insightful. One other thing: Be a little more thorough in your proofreading––for example "sect influence" should be "sect's influence."
In chapter one on several pages the term "Apikorsim" pops up, meaning "a Jew educated in Judaism who denied basic tenets, his faith like the existence of God, the revelation, the resurrection of the dead."(Page 28) Page 28 talks about the character Danny Saunders, during the baseball game, promising to his team to "kill us apikorsim". I imagine Danny's remark as almost pompous, arrogant and really proud; kind of like a "Oh this will be a piece of cake" situation. This phrase also appears on page 30 again as well, when the yeshiva team was yelling in Yiddish to "kill us apikorism". I imagine the yeshiva team yelling this, kind of in a mocking tone, maybe in an attempt to intimidate the other team. This struck me because I think that there is a conflict between these teams more than is mentioned. The term that they use kind of hint at almost a feeling of superiority or of higher sophistication. This was also mentioned in the book later on page 28. I am just curious to see if the conflict worsens. But also could the mention of the yeshiva team believing of their higher superiority, of their sophistication and direct and alone connection with God, that this may later on come in to play with what the title of the book means?
ReplyDeleteYou raise and interesting question. I think that the intimidation that the others set can be bewildering. I also think that this intimidation and obsessive behavior by Reuven could eventually lead to a problem later on. I think that this will definitely grow over the course of the story. However, I am unsure of any way the title could play yet.
DeleteI always am curious to find out the significance of the title. In this book, the name "The Chosen" seems to be in stark contrast to a relatively informal baseball game, although the central focus on Judaism provides a possible path for the title to take. For me, personally, Judaism and Baseball are both very interesting, although with one subject I have been a fanatic for years, and with the other, I know very little. I am excited to see the story unfold.
DeleteI absolutely love the start to this book. The way they immediately start with Danny in the very first line letting us know that he'll be a key player in the book with Reuven. The first few pages really appeal to me. I love the image they paint of the neatly portioned off sections of the city. Each with their similar, yet different cultures with their own particular rabbi and own particular garments. It makes me think of a town at night with it all being quiet after long days of study in the yeshivas. It's a quiet, peaceful image that makes it feel that despite the conflict that'll inevitably arise in the book the tone will be quiet and introspective throughout with long portions of thought and perspective. I'm really curious to see as to how Danny plays into the book. The fact that he was mentioned on the very first page really has me curious. The fact that the only conflict with Danny so far has been him nailing Reuven in the head with a baseball after giving him a crazy look and the quieter tone of the book makes me think that those two will resolve their differences quickly and some common conflict might bind them together as friends. I wonder what will happen between them?
ReplyDeleteI agree, the start of the book paints a very detailed image into the mind. I, having personally lived in a place like that, imagine it almost identically. I also noticed the difference in culture around the city and it was interesting. I feel as if there is almost a sort of social hierarchy in the schools; seeming like they are "rivals" in their religious practice. I wouldn't say its like a West side story gang turf-war,but None the less, I still wonder if the conflict will be resolved or if it might even get worse. My prediction is that it most likely will get worse and then be resolved much later, as the story continues. I'm curious to see how this will turn out.
DeleteInteresting insight Ian. I think that in a way, you have already answered your question. Yes?
DeleteThe image that stood out for me was Danny Saunders. The hatred between the two teams was so bad and how Reuven describes how Danny was ready ,standing still and staring at him, and how his eyes were dark , and his lips were parted in crazy grin. And no one really seemed to care about the hatred between the two teams. Reuven was kind of prepared of what was going to happen but he didn't quite know how bad it was. Danny hit the ball so hard that it made Reuven almost pass out. I understand that this is a competition between two school , but in that game it was more of a war than a competition. These kids had the same religion except that each of them had their own tradition ,and own synagogue but they were all jewish and they have the same goals so why hate each other like this at the point where they almost killed each other. The other thing is about their rabbi how could they tolerate such a behavior?
ReplyDeleteThis is a good question. I feel as if the Rabbi tolerates his team’s behavior due to the fact that he feels as if the other team does not practice their religion properly, and thus deserves to be defeated in such a cruel manner. I feel as if both teams are set in their ways and loyal to their own belief systems. They feel as if their religious practices are the only way. With this mentality, they are not thinking about playing a game for fun, yet have moved on to defending themselves, their ways, and persecuting those who are unlike themselves. I feel that throughout the course of the story tolerance may develop between the two teams, or, at least, between Reuven and Danny.
DeleteI think you pose a very interesting question. Throughout the whole first chapter the rabbi only looked up from his book a few times. He made no effort to coach the boys nor did he scold them for being poor sportsmen. It seems that their values in their perspective sects differed causing tension even though they all practiced the same religion. It seems that Danny and his team cared more about proving superiority than playing for fun. I wonder how things will change.
DeleteIs it out of a sense of superiority that he tolerates it?
DeleteIn chapter one, during the softball game, neither of the teams show very good sportsmanship. This negatively affects Reuven, the narrator. While they are playing, Danny’s Hasidic team is continuously mean to Reuven’s Orthodox Jewish team. It is evident that Reuven is fazed by the attitude of the other team, and he is passionate about proving the worthiness of his team. After the pitcher allows Danny’s first hit to fly over the mound, Reuven is ready at second for when Danny comes up to bat the next time. The image of Reuven’s anger and frustration popped out at me because all he wants at this moment is to win the game and to show the skill of his team. Danny proceeds to slam the third pitch right above the pitcher’s head and it comes straight for Reuven: “...I heard the yeshiva team shouting and Sidney Goldberg screaming, and I jumped, pushing myself upward off the ground with all the strength I had in my legs and stretching my glove hand till I thought it would pull out of my shoulder. The ball hit the pocket of my glove with an impact that numbed my hand and went through me like an electric shock, and I felt the force pull me backward and throw me off balance, and I came down hard on my left hip and elbow” (30). The catch hurt Reuven’s body, and as a reader, I imagine the extreme forcefulness of Danny’s hit. This emerged as important because I can picture Reuven’s unbelievable sense of accomplishment and surprise in this moment. Why is there such a conflict between the two teams that makes the softball game less of a joyful experience and more of an intense fight?
ReplyDeleteI'd imagine that it'd have a lot to do with the disdain and dislike between the two religions. Young boys have a habit of taking their parents' prejudices seriously, and it doesn't seem unlikely that it'd manifest through a baseball game for them. Though, perhaps not to that degree.
DeleteI agree with you , i think it should have been more of a fun experience than an intense fight, but on the other side of the story the jews were being killed which might have caused the anger between the two teams. But they had no reason to hate each other on that point because after all they were on the same side, they were both jews.
DeleteI like the fact that you are going to the text for evidence, Hannah.
DeleteThe first paragraph that introduces Davey Cantor is particularly striking to me. I was able to picture Davey almost as soon as I met him. Although there was no significant details in the initial description of his physical appearance, I saw him as a slightly chubby boy with sandy brown hair (although in the story it said his hair was dark), who perhaps was not the most popular boy. The paragraph continues with a conversation between Davey and Reuven. They talk about the game, Davey feeling worried, while Reuven appears unbothered. I could just see them; Davey, standing slightly hunched, pushing up his glasses and looking nervously up at Reuven, who stands tall and confident, dismissing Davey's concerns easily. This passage stood out to me because Davey and Reuven's conversation gave me a strong feeling of foreboding about the upcoming game. Davey seemed to know so much and tries to warn his teammate about the other team, but Reuven refuses to listen to him. However in the end, it is clear that Davey was right all along. Davey definitely appears to me as an underdog. His presence in this chapter makes me wonder if he will become a bigger character as the story progresses. I also wonder: will my idea of him change as time goes on and I get to know him better?
ReplyDeleteThis is an interesting question. I am not sure what kind of a role Davey will play over the course of the book. It's possible that Davey's character was mainly created to foreshadow what was to come, but leave the reader doubtful of whether he was right. However, Davey did play an interesting role in this chapter. He seems to have connections and access to information about the Yeshiva team that the other players on his team do not. He seems to be the person who connects the groups together–maybe this will matter later in the book.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteGood question. Like our opinions of people, they sometimes change, right?
DeleteNearing the end of this book the tension was building. Reuven became very upset with the other team and Danny in particular. It was evident that something was going to happen. On page 29, right after Danny missed the curve ball it was clear that he was prepared for war. Previously, we had the knowledge that Danny Saunders had a habit of aiming his swing right at the pitcher. I felt for Reuven and the amount of pain he was in from catching Danny’s hit an inning earlier. I could imagine the ball coming at his face, hitting of the fingers of his glove, and smashing him in the face. I could see him on the ground bleeding with everyone else swarming around him. I think this stuck to me because I play sports. Whenever someone is injured, especially in the head, everyone swarms around to make sure our teammate is alright. It seems that Danny Saunders does not care who gets hurt along his war path. He just wants to win, by “murdering” the other team. What role is Danny going to play in Reuven’s life?
ReplyDeleteI think you voice a good question. It seems as though both Rueven and Danny are going to become the main characters in the book, so they must eventually be connected to each other’s lives. It appears that there will be two main options in Reuven and Danny’s relationship. Either they will both hold a grudge against the other and have a relationship founded on hatred, or they will be able to overcome what happened at the game and become friends. So far, there has been no indication of which category Reuven and Danny’s relationship will fall under, but I am inclined to think that Rueven will definitely try to reach out to Danny and become friends because that seems to be the kind of person he is. However, the real question is whether or not Danny will want to be friends.
DeleteTo me, the most striking image in this chapter was on the last page. Reuven is sitting on the bench, and on top of the pain he is in physically, he is also watching a game that should have been a hard won victory become a defeat, and there is nothing he can do about it. He noted earlier in the chapter that this game had seemed to become more important than other games– “I felt a sudden momentary sense of unreality, … as if all the previous years of my life had somehow led me to this one ball game, and all the future years of my life would depend on its outcome” (29). A victory for Reuben’s team would not just feel like a game that they had won, but a war. This moment is followed by his fantastic catch that, though it leaves him injured, seems to have set up the team for a win. Then he is injured too badly to continue playing, and the trajectory of the game changes. He watches in despair from the bench as his team loses the game, and the pain in eye does not subside. It feels to him as if he is watching his whole life slip away. Would this dispute between the schools have become real to Reuben, as did in the game, some other time if the game had never been played?
ReplyDeleteThe answer to this question will play an important role in the story, because if the two groups of boys continue to fight like this, it will inevitably result in conflict. I think that the game created a strong perception of the "war" for Reuven, but I also believe that he would have reached this conclusion without the game. There is obvious tension, so I think it would have been an issue anyway. This friendly competition between the two teams turned into a serious battle, so what's to say that it wouldn't happen in a different situation?
DeleteOne set of images that stuck out for me were Reuven's descriptions of the Rabbi coach throughout the game. During the duration of, most of, the game Reuven seems distinctly unfazed by his friend, Davey Cantor's, warnings of the ruthlessness of the other team. For me, the sections where the other team's coach was depicted, set the tone of fear Davey was trying to warn his friend of. When the opposing team came to the game, the scene where the Rabbi requests a five minute period of practice, set the tone for that character. He was commanding, and seemed to have an unprecedented sense of calm and assurance in his players, which appeared to be unsupported by his team’s playing skills. Through the entirety of the game, he is shown reading and generally removed from the activity at hand. This solidifies the fact that the beginning of the game was, the calm before a brutal storm. Also, Davey’s promise of a murderous team would soon be confirmed. This vision of a confident man who was content being removed from the situation, leaving the power and the fate of the game in his player’s hands, was particularly powerful for me. This image starkly contrasted that of Mr. Galanter’s hands on coaching style, making it even more of an omen of something unexpected to come. These images were especially powerful, as they were used as a foretelling. I feel as though the author would have found them superfluous and removed them, if not used in this context. I wonder if there will be more repeated sets of descriptions lending clues into the future?
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteSo, in effect, you are asking if there will be more foreshadowing. Good question.
DeleteThe beginning of this book was very intriguing. Chaim Potok spins the predicaments of baseball, Judaism, and World War II together seamlessly. Already, in the first chapter I am hooked and have learned much about Judaism in America during the this time. The image that still lingers in my head from this chapter is the one of the Rabbi. He immediately makes a powerful entrance demanding his players get practice time. His arrogance and righteousness overpower any chance for argument from Mr. Ganter. While the baseball game is ongoing he continues to read his book and gives off very little emotion or structure to his players. To some this may come off as relaxed, however, to me he it seems as though he knows he will win. He thinks because of his devotion to Judaism he will prevail, and that non devoted “apikoros” have no chance. He does show a face of shock when Reuven makes the “sensational” catch. Throughout the first chapter the relationships between Jewish communities is shocking. The communities seem to look down on each other. While World War II rages on I would expect more unity. Why is it that Orthodox Jews during this time still seem to think less of others in the same religion while the terrors of World War II happen?
ReplyDeleteI agree that the Rabbi projects a very arrogant vibe, but overall, I found him strangely creepy. As his players screamed out "kill the apikorsim" in Yiddish, he did nothing to reprimand them for such violent and threatening words. The massive amounts of hate towards the opposing team for minuscule religious differences is frightening. As you said, you would expect more unity between the different sectors of Judaism, especially during something so horrible as the Holocaust and World War II.
DeleteInteresting question…. I think the reason that the Jews we have encountered so far in the book show animosity towards the different sects of their religion is because of the events of their time. Around World War II, there was so much hate that was being preached by the world’s leaders, especially directed at the Jews, that that anger and hate spread to everyday citizens. I think the boys in the book are showing animosity towards each other because of the hate that their parents show toward each other which is influenced by hate from people of power seen in the media and in government. (Posted for Owen from a Google Doc)
DeleteThe moment in which the baseball knocked Reuven to the ground personally created extremely vivid imagery. I imagined Reuven experiencing that split second of realization that the ball is hurtling straight for his face, stumbling to protect himself in time, and eventually recognizing there is nothing he can do to stop it. After Reuven is sprawled on the ground and his teammates have surrounded him, he notices the injuries that are emerging from his body: “I felt a sharp pain in my left eye when I blinked. My wrist throbbed, and I could feel the bump coming up on my forehead.” Even with all this pain, he doesn’t understand “what all the fuss is about”. He felt as though he was in fine condition, and the only real casualty was his glasses. His reaction stood out to me because of my own reaction to a skiing accident I had when I was seven. Once when I was going down a black diamond trail, I hit a slick spot and fell backwards right as a woman was skiing behind me. As I fell, the tip of her ski stabbed the bridge of my nose, straight between my eyes. At that moment, I was in a lot of pain, but I didn’t think the cut was serious. Only when I reached the bottom of the hill, and went inside the bathroom did I realize the severity of the cut. A question I’ve always had is, why was I, and Reuven, not clued in to the obvious seriousness of our injuries? Why wasn’t the opposing team bothered by Reuven’s injuries?
ReplyDeleteDo you think it has anything to do with what seems like an intense rivalry that has almost become (or has become) real hatred?
Delete“They’re murderers.”
ReplyDelete“Sure,” I said.
“No, really. They’re wild.”
“You saw them play?”
“Twice. They’re murderers.”
“Everyone plays to win, Davey.”
This dialogue is vivid. As a reader, my mind took no time to figure out the scene, to imagine the voices, to hear their tones. The dialogue was not only reminiscent of the conversations and arguments that occur before a ballgame, the dialogue on the page was the dialogue in the dugout. There are always players who are convinced that their team will win, and there are always players who are convinced with the utmost certainty that the other team will kill them. Although the book is set more than seventy years ago, in a strictly Jewish area of New York City, every detail of the game -- the players, coaches, umpires, strategies -- all line up in harmony with a current Thetford Academy baseball game. Although our ferocity isn't fed by religious differences, we find other petty reasons to have a distaste for our opponents. For example, Thetford Elementary teams I was a part of often manufactured competitiveness by stereotyping Hanover and Norwich teams into “those pompous, snobby rich kids”. Although it's not quite related to my image, my question is this: What is the significance of the opposing coach’s demeanor? He is reading a book, seemingly uninterested in his team, although he does look up from his book and react to the game a few times. Potok comes back to this again and again, why?
I believe that the reason the author gives the opposing team's rabbi this personality is two fold. Firstly he wishes to allude to the rabbi's personality. The rabbi obviously cares about the game yet seems to prioritize his scipture, as if he has such faith in his beliefs that they will carry him to victory. This conveys the rabbi's intense religious faith. Secondly I believe that the rabbi's detached demeanor is meant to add to the general disgust he and his team have for the team of the protagonist. By not paying close attention to the game the rabbi adopts an aura of righteousness and superiority over his opponents that his players seem to share. He sends a silent message that his opponents are not worthy of his gaze let alone his respect. This brings the level of conflict between the two teams, and transitively the two sects, to a whole other level.
DeleteGood post, Dino. I like the connection to Hanover/Norwich teams.
DeleteI also like William's response to your post––it's quite insightful.
In chapter 1 an image that stood out for me was when Reuven suddenly became extremely angry on page 28. I can picture him looking in at the batter from second base, thinking about the game, and the other team. I also find it reasonably for his anger to turn into hate against the other team. In addition, Reuven felt at this point like the game had turned into a war for him at that point because of his desire to win. This image stuck out at me because I too have experienced games where suddenly I began to feel like the game turned into the most important thing in the world for me. A must win situation. I find it interesting that Reuven had an experience of such hatred. Will Reuven have an experience where his anger turns into hate in a more serious situation than a baseball game?
ReplyDelete(Posted for Owen from a Google Doc)
Good question. I think that's a good prediction. Let's see if it comes to fruition.
DeleteI thought that the description of both the visual and cultural setting of the baseball game invoked significant imagery. It set the stage in a wartime America and an area populated by people of different religious sects. For me the baseball game perfectly represented the tensions between the different Jewish sects of the time. I think that using the emotions and actions of children to describe more general social conditions is especially powerful because they often purely embody the ideals of their environment. Initially it would seem that these different sects of Judaism have most things in common and little to argue about. However it becomes unsurprisingly clear that even subtle religious disparities among people can have resounding cultural affects. Will at any point in the story these stark divisions be reconciled? Maybe in service of a higher purpose or mutual need?
ReplyDeleteYou bring up an interesting point. The baseball game and what Reuven is thinking during the game make it very clear that there is significant turmoil among the Jewish sects in New York City. And which unless I had read this chapter I would not have understood. It is interesting to see one particular sect of the Jewish faith display that they believe that they have the correct take on Judaism. If there are people who believe that they are correct they most likely wont be swayed the other way so I do not think that the will reconcile.
DeleteWilliam B., I like the point you are making. It's quite thoughtful. Specifically, though, which image at the baseball game are you responding to? (There are many, right?)
DeleteThe Rabbi’s unorthodox behavior was what I found the most interesting. When I think of the characteristics of a Rabbi I think of wisdom and understanding, really what a religious leader of any religion should be. The Rabbi misuses the power that is given to him because of his position. He manipulates the young baseball players. “Remember why and for whom we play”(10). The Rabbi is using the young boys faith to win games to boost his sects importance. A lot of things can be inferred upon hearing this line. The Rabbi could use the power of God to threaten the children, if they lost the would be punished because they would have lost in the name of God. Since they also think themselves above all of the other sects loosing to a team made up of ‘lesser’ people would have been excruciatingly shameful. The Rabbi taught his players a very unsportsmanlike lesson: to win at all costs. The Rabbi smug confidence rubbed me off the wrong way. He sat reading a book while his team played, he believed that his team would win, only when it became a closer game did he pay attention. His mannerisms were shocking given his position of power in his community. Possibly Rabbi believed that a sure way of elevating his sects influence and importance was to dominate in baseball, to become notorious. Why else would he act this way?
ReplyDeleteGood observations, William. I agree that he is exploiting the children to a degree. What you have written is pretty insightful. One other thing: Be a little more thorough in your proofreading––for example "sect influence" should be "sect's influence."
Delete