Name the topic of your discussion and the date you led it. Also describe your process of preparing and how you feel the discussion went. (minimum 250 words)
I led a class discussion on Wednesday May 31st and I thought it went very well. All of the questions I came up with were very open ended as they were supposed to be and the questions were well received. To prepare I read the chapter three or four times and then as I thought of questions I referred back to the book. I had the original list of questions on paper then as I typed it I revised it. I liked leading the discussion. I also found it fun to have people looking at me for approval to either speak or see if their input was valid. I felt very teachery. The chapter that I did was filled with clues as to what was going to happen later in the book and I was lucky because I was able to write several questions that asked about the future of the characters. The entire discussion was pretty fun, people raised their hands and spoke about how they felt and how they thought the story would go. And I got to share my opinions about the book and the characters. I really like the book and I really liked talking about it, both during my discussion and Hannah's discussion. The book has so much content to discuss. Like the 'n' word, mental illness, race, class, women's rights, and more. This book was written during a time of great turmoil and it is fantastic that we are talking about it now that many of the issues that were present then are still present now.
Leading a class discussion was not my first choice because I’m really not great at that sort of thing, but I wasn’t sure what else to choose. I figured it couldn’t be too bad, so I typed up some questions on the assigned reading and assumed that they would take up enough time to form a proficient conversation. As the time of the discussion grew closer, I got more and more nervous. I was worried that it wasn’t going to fill the allotted time period, and that my questions wouldn’t be sufficient. However, my classmates had thoughtful responses and created new conversations from questions that I had previously asked. I think that I would’ve been less stressed out during the discussion if I didn’t continue glancing up at the clock. Overall, though, I think it went well. I asked my written questions, and actually ended up asking two more questions that I just sort of came up with while we were talking and responding to each other. I was utterly surprised at how much some people had to say in response to the questions. When I asked about Crooks and if there were any benefits about being the only colored man on the ranch, new ideas were brought into the group. This happened because the responses that were given transitioned the conversation from specifically Crooks to ALL minorities and women at the time of the Great Depression and how they were treated differently. I gained a new perspective on the topic and I’m glad that people had such varying views because now I feel more educated on this subject and on other relating subjects as well.
I led a class discussion on the last chapter of "Of Mice And Men by John Steinbeck. I remembered leading a discussion for embedded honors in ninth grade so I was not incredibly nervous. I do not like public speaking so I was a bit tentative about that . After I had done my slide presentation I became less nervous about presenting. The process was not incredibly difficult. While I was reading the last chapter I marked places that I thought would be good discussion topics. I looked back on previous class discussions and made my outline based on that. I was slightly concerned that some people would not participate so I factored that in. During the quick write in class I thought about a few more things that I would like to point out. I really enjoyed this book and I liked leading a discussion and hearing the opinions of my classmates.
I led a class discussion on Wednesday May 31st and I thought it went very well. All of the questions I came up with were very open ended as they were supposed to be and the questions were well received. To prepare I read the chapter three or four times and then as I thought of questions I referred back to the book. I had the original list of questions on paper then as I typed it I revised it. I liked leading the discussion. I also found it fun to have people looking at me for approval to either speak or see if their input was valid. I felt very teachery. The chapter that I did was filled with clues as to what was going to happen later in the book and I was lucky because I was able to write several questions that asked about the future of the characters. The entire discussion was pretty fun, people raised their hands and spoke about how they felt and how they thought the story would go. And I got to share my opinions about the book and the characters. I really like the book and I really liked talking about it, both during my discussion and Hannah's discussion. The book has so much content to discuss. Like the 'n' word, mental illness, race, class, women's rights, and more. This book was written during a time of great turmoil and it is fantastic that we are talking about it now that many of the issues that were present then are still present now.
ReplyDeleteLeading a class discussion was not my first choice because I’m really not great at that sort of thing, but I wasn’t sure what else to choose. I figured it couldn’t be too bad, so I typed up some questions on the assigned reading and assumed that they would take up enough time to form a proficient conversation. As the time of the discussion grew closer, I got more and more nervous. I was worried that it wasn’t going to fill the allotted time period, and that my questions wouldn’t be sufficient. However, my classmates had thoughtful responses and created new conversations from questions that I had previously asked. I think that I would’ve been less stressed out during the discussion if I didn’t continue glancing up at the clock. Overall, though, I think it went well. I asked my written questions, and actually ended up asking two more questions that I just sort of came up with while we were talking and responding to each other. I was utterly surprised at how much some people had to say in response to the questions. When I asked about Crooks and if there were any benefits about being the only colored man on the ranch, new ideas were brought into the group. This happened because the responses that were given transitioned the conversation from specifically Crooks to ALL minorities and women at the time of the Great Depression and how they were treated differently. I gained a new perspective on the topic and I’m glad that people had such varying views because now I feel more educated on this subject and on other relating subjects as well.
ReplyDeleteI led a class discussion on the last chapter of "Of Mice And Men by John Steinbeck. I remembered leading a discussion for embedded honors in ninth grade so I was not incredibly nervous. I do not like public speaking so I was a bit tentative about that . After I had done my slide presentation I became less nervous about presenting. The process was not incredibly difficult. While I was reading the last chapter I marked places that I thought would be good discussion topics. I looked back on previous class discussions and made my outline based on that. I was slightly concerned that some people would not participate so I factored that in. During the quick write in class I thought about a few more things that I would like to point out. I really enjoyed this book and I liked leading a discussion and hearing the opinions of my classmates.
ReplyDelete