Monday, August 8, 2016

The Chosen (Ch 2-4) due Sun, Feb 5 by 8pm

Quote 2 particular lines or passages from within Chap 2-4: one that feels imp’t to the text and one that feels imp’t to you, and explain why they feel imp’t. End your post w/ a question. (Note page #s.) Skip a line between paragraphs, since you cannot indent on the blog.  

Also, reply to at least one student's post.

30 comments:

  1. "'It's a new kind of operation,' Billy said, turning his face in my direction. 'My father explained it to me. They found out how to do it in the war. It'll be wonderful doing a three-rounder with you, Mr. Savo." (47). That poor kid. I'm sure that the surgery won't work and that Reuven will learn that at a time when it leads to some sort of revelation about the world. Hopefully his friendship with Billy will help Billy recover from that disappointment and not lose that excitement about the world.

    "'...He says that words distort what a person really feels in his heart...'" (72). This line really struck me for some reason. It made sense to me because for me to feel like I'm truly writing something that's good it has to be able to convey to someone the proper emotions without them actually knowing who I am. It's nice to think about this sometimes because it poses some really hard questions of how to properly express it.

    I wonder if Reuven will meet Danny's father at some point? What would that even look like? They don't seem like people who would agree on much, and for a young boy, agreement equals respect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree partially with agreement equals respect between children and adults. I think it can certainly play a big role but other factors can contribute to respect as well. I see fear fueling Reuven's respect for Reb Saunders. At this point in the story Reb Saunders does seem very far removed from Reuven and his father. Surprisingly he also seems removed from his own son Danny, with Danny sneaking off to the library to read Darwin and not really wanting to be a rabbi. I could see Reuven getting involved with Reb Saunders in an attempt to help his new friend Danny follow his dreams. Also maybe Reb Saunders, like Danny, is not really who he seems.

      Delete
    2. You make a good point. I think that Rueven will most likely meet Danny's father sometime during the book. Already, although the reader has only been introduced to him once, he has become a large part of the story. He appears threatening to Rueven, and seems to be an obstacle in Danny's life, as he expects him to be a rabbi, when Danny does not want to be one. I think if Rueven and Danny's dad did meet it would be incredibly awkward, and, as you said, it does not seem like they would get along very well.

      Delete
  2. "'It's D day Bobby boy. We're clopping them good'" (55). This stood out to me as an important part of the text for two reason. Firstly, "D day" was an incredibly important day in history, and in the book it obviously has an affect on the people in the hospital, and likely the public. Secondly, today we all know what was discovered in Germany and Poland during the liberation of Europe. The fact that the beginning of the book takes place during the close of WWII might foreshadow the Holocaust playing a significant role in the plot. If this were the case could mourning bring all of the Jewish sects together in solidarity?

    "'He says that words distort what a person really feels in his heart.'" (72). Reuven's father's take on writing is one that I have never heard before but now that I have it makes resounding personal sense. Writing can be used to describe many things but It makes sense that emotions can be especially difficult for writers to convey. I have often found myself feeling as if my writing only reflects what I think sounds good and not what I really feel in my heart. Can words even adequately describe raw feelings and emotions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To answer your question, personally I feel the answer is yes, but this varies from person to person. In my own daily life I find that writing is the ultimate form of expression. When I speak, it can come out awkward or slurred or due to my energy level, lacks emotion and that can be a little confusing to listeners. However, on the terms of writing, its a love I have, I do not need to say what I feel sounds good or what could make the other person laugh like I would in person. In writing I can structure my thoughts before they are presented I can think about them and describe them, dotting every I and crossing ever t. The only reason I still question its probability with others is I'm also very different than many other people. Some can speak for days on end and act on every emotion but at the end of the day every single thought I have is more clearly put together with writing. Personally I think yes but I would also be very curious on how others feel.

      Delete
    2. From Owen Deffner

      Interesting post Bosco, I am especially fascinated with your take on Danny’s father’s writing beliefs. You do bring up a good point that it is hard to convey emotions. I often find myself struggling to write how I feel about something. That could be why I am more successful writing about and analyzing facts. However to answer your question, I think writing can be an effective way to convey emotions and feelings, however I think it takes quite a bit of practice and a mastery of a language to be successful at it.

      Delete
    3. I had a similar question in my last response. I am already surprised with the lack of unity between groups during such awful times. However, I think that over the course of the end of the war as the allies begin to take control and there is a larger 'reconstruction' post-war like movement the groups will come together. I also think that this could directly influence the relationship between Danny's family and Reuven's. I am interested to see the outcome. Thanks for the intriguing question.

      Delete
    4. These are both interesting points. The Holocaust has certainly provided influence for a large mass of writing, from fiction like "The Book Thief" and "Number the Stars" to, of course, the work of Anne Frank. It certainly could play a central role in the plot, but I think it could be more interesting for the author to switch it up. Potok could use it as context, as a theme to return to now and then, rather than something to lead the plot.This isn't saying that either strategy is better, but simply that it would be interesting to see that.

      Delete
  3. The conversations that Danny Saunders and Reuven on pages (79-85) specifically the one about Danny's duty towards his family dynasty on pages 81 and 82. It talks about how Danny doesn't actually want to become a rabbi and that he would much rather become a psychologist. I felt this was important because Rueven brings up how Danny seems more like a apikoros, and Danny accepts that. However, his family has been inheriting the roll for the last six generations. Page 71 explains that there was a reason for why Danny told his team mates that he was going to kill them and why they had to win. Danny's father had pressured the win. I feel like Danny has had a lot of pressure put on him from his father. He doesn't seem to wish to follow his rolls to be rabbi and he reads books on evolution. Danny has had the idea of always beating the apikorsims because they appear inferior. But Danny is fighting exactly what he is and what is interesting to me about this is that he seems far more like the apikorsim than anything else. He is leading an intricate double life and I'm curious to see how this plays out later on. I wonder if his father will find out or his school mates and he will be in some sort of isolation because of it.

    As well as many others who have responded to this prompt, I can agree that Reuvens father has a very strange way of viewing writing. Although at the same time, for a very long time, I imagined it quite the same. "'He says that words distort what a person really feels in his heart.'" (72). For a very long time, I more often than not, tried to express ideas through action and never really through words. It may have been because I was never one with words but, at the same time it seemed more logical. Some words are not strong enough to display or express an idea and that is where action takes the upper hand. In the case of poetry it is quite the opposite, or is it? The art form, with words, displays beauty and the soul and effortlessly helps you feel what others feel, think what others think. But you can have a poem, so simple, so "Thoughtless", but a presentation and reading so powerful it speaks louder than words. In many different forms of writing that is the case. This is the first time I have heard someone feel this way but I understand where its coming from. I wonder, can writing display the same emotion as an action? How/ Why Not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People always seem to have a need to fit things into boxes, to make generalizations, to have some kind of uniformity and separation. Actions and words speak differently to everyone. There is never a proverb (such as "actions speak louder than words") that does not have a million exceptions. Everything is situational and it is entirely ridiculous to make generalizations on concepts as nebulous as that. To make such an exceptionless statement about everything having exceptions feels like the only absolute we can form. Whether it's a careless word from a physically tired and emotionally exhausted mother, whether it is an unexpected act of hatred and bigotry from a friend the impact of an action or a phrase is entirely dependent on the person interpreting it, and even then it can't be fixed because people are not set like concrete. People change and people will always, always be shaped by their pasts. We can't apply a statement such as one saying that actions speak louder than words to billions of people. We must look at each situation and account for the various points of views involved, as well as our own. Then we can apply a statement such as the aforementioned one to each individual person. I think it will be important to consider that as the book goes on. It might help us understand Reuven and Danny and their thoughts and emotions to a higher degree.

      Delete
  4. “‘Well, That’s when I wanted to walk over to you and open your head with my bat’”(67).
    This quote seems important to the book. Before this time I did not take Reuven’s claim seriously that Danny wanted to kill him. I do not think that even Reuven believed that Danny wanted to actually kill him. This quote represents more than just the feud and baseball. I think it is important that Danny came again to talk to Reuven. Reuven, this time listened and that showed respect. By the end of the conversation the boys built a acceptance of each other and I think Reuven enjoyed Danny's company. I think this relationship will continue to grow as they begin to envy each other's lives. Why do you think they enjoy each other's company?



    “‘It’s D day, Bobby boy. We’re clopping them good’”(55).
    This is quote is important to me as well as for the entire world. “D” day an extremely important day in history and the magnitude was even known at the time. This is made clear through the reactions by everyone throughout the hospital. While reading this specific part of the book I became excited along with the people. I wonder how these advancements in the war will affect the relationship between the different Jewish Sects. Will it have any affect on the relationship with the Saunders and Malter families?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Owen's Post (Still not able to post for some reason)

    "' How can you spend your life doing what you don't like?' ' I have no choice,' he said again. (81)" I found it interesting that Danny was at peace with the fact that he was forced to become a Rabbi to continue his family's dynasty. I have encountered tons of kids whose parents are forcing them to be something they're not, but in almost all of those situations, the kid rejects what they're parent is forcing them to be. With Danny it's the opposite: he doesn't want to be a Rabbi but he knows he has to. I think Reuven really struggled with this and I think he will continue to struggle with it throughout the remainder of the book.

    "' A Greek philosopher said that two people who are true friends are like two bodies with one soul'.(74)" This line was powerful for me because it can be applied to my life in two ways. The first is that sometimes I feel a connection like this with my friends which is very strong (probably not as strong as two bodies one soul though). And also I think this quote could be applied to team sports. Sometimes in sports a team can have such good chemistry that they work for the exactly the same thing despite being in different bodies. For me, this quote can embody team sports because despite doing different things, everyone on a team is working towards one goal. Many bodies, one team. I wonder if Reuven and Danny will become true friends? If they do, how will Danny's father react to their friendship?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Because of foreshadowing, I do think that Danny and Reuven will become true friends. Danny's father will certainly have to adjust his views on Reuven's family, but eventually, for the sake of his son, I believe that he will come around. He may even make an effort to get to know Reuven's father. Also, your first quote analysis is clever, It provokes an interesting thought about how parents plan so much out for their children.

      Delete
    3. I think your application of the quote to team sports is really interesting, and I that Reuven and Danny's similar personalities and differing strengths and abilities could also make them a great team. I wonder if they could use this to shape how Danny's father, as well as both of their communities, learn about and react to their friendship. I think if Danny's father found out at this point in the story, he would find a way to put an end to it. I also think that Danny and Reuven know that and will try (and maybe not succeed) to keep their friendship secret until they come up with a plan that will make Danny's father accept it.

      Delete
  6. “‘I have no choice. It’s an inherited position’” (69). Even if Danny does not want to be a rabbi, he feels as though he actually has no choice. Maybe that’s the thought that his father has given him or maybe he simply doesn’t want to let down his dad. I wonder what Danny would be if he didn’t have this hanging over his head.

    "'The scar tissue can grow over the pupil.' And I felt myself go sick with fear" (50). Reuven’s optimism turns to fear as soon as he realizes that he might become blind in his eye. This line is powerful to me because I can imagine his expression go blank and the thoughts in his head combine into one awful thought. He spoke earlier about how he couldn’t imagine himself being blind. He closed his eyes and tried to imagine it but he stated that he knew that he could open his eyes and see. Someone who was blind did not have that choice. The mental aspect of not being able to imagine it is interesting. Do we often take advantage of simple things in life like sight? If so, do you really believe that we are truly taking advantage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are really interesting responses, Hannah. To reply to your first question, I think it says somewhere that Danny wants to be a psychologist. For your second quote you pose really thought provoking questions. I feel that we definitely take simple things like sight for granted.

      Delete
  7. "Make him your friend" my father repeated.(75) After starting this book I never thought that Reuven and Danny would ever be friends ,after showing their hatred in their game ,and after Danny's first visit at the hospital, Reuven showed no interest of being Danny's friend. And it is also surprising for Reuven's dad to ask Reuven to be friends with a person who tried to kill him.


    "I was born here too,"I said.(79) It's such a coincindense that Danny and Reuven where born in the same hospital ,and I wonder if that had something to contribute to their friendship?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "He was sitting up in the bed, playing a game of cards with himself and smiling broadly. Some card were arranged in rows on the blanket, and he was drawing other cards from the deck he held in his hand and adding them to the rows (39)." This quote is important to the text. For me, it provided a succinct image of Reuven's perspective. He is observant and intelligent, as he notices and can describe the card game and its effect on the man in detail. However, he is also young. He does not know that the man is playing solitaire. These qualities are evident in the rest of the text. Reuven often doesn't understand figures of speech ("How's the old punching bag (39)?"), but he observes certain parts of the world in fine detail, such as the blind boy's face.

    "He deliberately aimed at me, abba. He hit me deliberately (49)." I connect with this quote. In baseball, I often get caught up in the game. I use competitiveness as a tool to gain an advantage. In fact, most players do. Usually, it simply gives the player an advantage, because when one is into the game, fired up and ready to go, they will play better. However, sometimes player's resort to taking illogical, unproductive action in order to either get under the skin of opposing players, or to take the actions of the other team personally. Reuven is taking the actions personally, and it is getting him in trouble with his father. I wonder how tightly baseball will be woven into the story. Will it simply be an introduction? Or will it continue to gently push the advancement of the plot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered this as well. But I think that it was really only to introduce the characters. I think it was to give a foundation to the friendship. However, I also think that because baseball brought them together it will still be an important part of the book.

      Delete
  10. “‘You didn’t want to duck.’ ‘That’s right,’ I said, after a while. ‘You didn’t want to have to duck any ball that I hit. You had to try and stop it.’” (71) This quote is important to the book because it helps define the beginning of Danny and Reuven’s friendship. It also defines part of Reuven’s character. In this dialogue Danny is explaining to Reuven that, in a way, it is his fault that he got hit in the face, because he had time to duck. This, to me, is significant because I feel as if it says something important about Reuven’s character. Reuven proves here that he is willing to go to great lengths to prove himself. Will this trait be significant further on in the book?

    “‘No one knows he is fortunate until he becomes unfortunate,’ my father said quietly. ‘That is the way the world is.’” (73) This quote is important to me because it is very true. I feel as if everyone fixates on the bad aspects of their lives and fail, in turn, to acknowledge the good. No one can truly appreciate what they have until they don’t have it, or until it is challenged or threatened. This is demonstrated in the book through Reuven, who never truly appreciated his ability to see until it was put in jeopardy. Misfortune forces people to take a step back and reconsider. I feel, overall, this quote is super powerful and thought provoking, and that is why it is important to me. I wonder if there will be more scenarios based on this concept as the story continues?

    ReplyDelete
  11. “‘No hard feelings anymore?’ he asked me.
    ‘No hard feelings,’ I said” (71).
    This quote signifies the end of Rueven and Danny’s anger towards each other. Rueven is finally able to see that Danny is truly sorry and, being the kind hearted person that it seems he is, he is able to forgive Danny. Both Danny and Rueven are clearly the main characters in this story. The fact that they are able to overcome their rivalry from the baseball game shows insight on how their relationship will progress as the story goes on. Because the reader is seeing the story from Rueven’s perspective, it seems now that the reader is allowed to form a positive idea of who Danny is. I definitely began to pity Danny as I learned more about him and his responsibilities. It appears that he has no choice in his future, which is tragic. It will be interesting to see how their relationship develops as time goes on.

    “‘You were supposed to duck,’ he said.
    ‘I had no chance to duck.’
    ‘Yes you did’ (70).
    This conversation, where Rueven realizes that he had chosen to stop the ball and injure himself rather than give up the ball game altogether and duck to save himself, really stood out to me. It reminded me that in life there is always a choice, even when it does not seem that way. The fact that Rueven chose to sacrifice himself for the baseball game showed how important the game was to him. It made me think deeply about how some of the most important decisions of your life can happen in the blink of an eye. Because of his decision, Rueven may be partly blind. This really struck me. Life has a peculiar way of happening, and even what seems like an insignificant choice could change everything.

    I wonder how the story will progress. Will Rueven lose his sight because of this one choice? How will Rueven and Danny’s friendship develop?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danny and Rueven appeared in the beginning as natural enemies. The two best baseball players on opposing teams. After reading that their friendship seemed impossible, I hadn't even dreamt it up it seemed to unlikely. I think that the friendship between Danny and Rueven seems impossible I think that maybe it wont develop.

      Delete
    2. i think that Reuven and Danny have a lot in common, and i think they will continue to be friends because their friendship is strong cause no one ever thought they could be friends after what happened. i think they might maybe change their future if they work together.

      Delete
  12. “I have no choice. It’s an inherited position.” (69)
    This quote shows that the boys in these Jewish communities, especially someone like Danny Saunders, have little or no say in what they want to do. The fact that Danny has no choice in what he will do when he is grown could explain his behavior. Danny is trapped by his family’s wishes as well as his communities wishes. Danny’s outburst on Reuven proved that something was wrong. And the only thing that us readers know that is wrong is that he is being forced to become something he doesn’t want to.

    “I saw the curtain had been pulled back from his bed. Billy was gone.”(88)
    After reading this far I have a strong connection to all of the characters, because of the authors extremely detailed descriptions. But Billy is a special case. He is described an incredibly innocent child who had an unfortunate accident. When Billy went into his operation Reuven prayed for him for a long time. The care he felt for the younger boy after such a short time with him meant a lot to me as a reader. The connection between the two characters was very special.

    I’m thinking that Rueven may still have some conflicting feelings about Danny. Who wouldn’t, Danny admitted that he tried to kill Rueven. He thought about attacking him with the baseball bat. And all the sudden after two talks they are friends? Also Danny was confessing some huge stuff to the kid he almost tried to kill. It seems weird to me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. “Anyone out to clop you doesn’t want you to duck, kid. I know” (76). This phrase seems to sum up the differences in how Mr. Savo and Reuven view the world, and people’s actions. Reuven does not entirely agree with that Mr. Savo here–he knows that Danny felt like he had no option but to win the game against Reuven’s team because of what he had said to convince his father to let them play, and as a result, he had to be ruthless. He didn’t really want to hurt Reuven, but it was a price he was willing to pay. Mr. Savo seems to think that anyone out to hurt you personally wants you to be hurt, no matter what they claim. It’s surprising to me that he thinks this way, because he is a boxer. He fights people to make a living, so it seems like he would be the person to agree that you don’t always want to fight the people you do.

    “The eye’s out, kid. They had to take it out. It was some clop. Didn’t want the little blind kid to know, so kept it quiet” (90). This stuck out to me because Mr. Savo continues to try look out for both Reuven and Billy even though he is sick himself–probably even sicker than either of them. He’s made some decisions that he wishes he had made differently, but he’s come to terms with them, and he doesn’t want Billy and Reuven to make the same mistakes he did. He’s experienced some misfortune, but he’s not blaming anyone else for it–even though it’s likely that he’s not solely responsible–because no one ever is–for things that have gone wrong. I wonder why it is that he doesn’t project his anger and disappointment onto other people. Was it something that happened in his life, or is it just his personality?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure Mr. Savo had empathy towards Billy and Reuven regarding their similar eye injuries, and that is one reason why he didn't inform Billy of his eye removal and why he doesn't lash out on other patients. He didn't want Billy to lose hope or to panic about his own eye sight. He knows how it feels to have major eye issues and wouldn't want to push anger onto people who have the same problems as him.

      Delete
  14. A quote that struck me was said by Billy, the blind boy to the right of Reuven. “We were all very worried about you” (43). This quote was important to me because at this point Reuven was getting adjusted to the hospital ward and the people that surrounded him. People that had been in the hospital far longer than him. Some, in much worse condition. I thought it was very powerful for them to show concern for Reuven. To show that they understood what he was going through. Throughout the second and third chapters, I was able to see the relationship between Reuven and the other patients grow.

    “I’ll see you tomorrow again”. In the first chapter, I wondered what was going to happen between Reuven and Danny. The first time that Danny came to visit Reuven at the hospital he was so angry it seemed he would never forgive Danny. Despite the anger shown by Reuven, Danny came back. After they got to talking, it seemed as though they could become friends. Even though their religious beliefs differed, Danny was truly sorry for the harm he had caused. I am very interested to see how this friendship transforms over time.

    What impact will the other patients have on Reuven throughout the rest of the book?

    ReplyDelete
  15. “‘Don’t be so cute, Malter. I’m not being melodramatic. I really wanted to kill you.’” (67) The bluntness of Danny Saunders disturbed me deeply. The way he is honest with Reuven about his true intentions seems almost psychotic. Most people would have a difficult time admitting such a delirious thought as homicide, especially to the person they directed it towards. I feel as though his words are important to the story due to his straightforward and blank tone; the style implied foreshadowing. It almost seemed like Danny believed his murderous feelings were ordinary or even deserved. Although he couldn’t figure out why he felt them, he wasn’t freaked out by them which, in my opinion, doesn’t seem normal.

    “‘Couldn’t make it as a soldier,’ he said looking at Billy. ‘I’ve got a bad---’ He stopped. ‘Tried to make it but couldn’t.’” (60) This line really stood out to me while I was reading. War is an extremely terrible thing. An event that most people never wish to experience.The shame and sadness expressed by Mr. Galanter when reminded that he cannot be apart of the fight surprised me. It confused me that Mr. Galanter wasn’t grateful and pleased that he didn’t have to endure such a horrific situation. I understand the moral obligation felt by many men to serve their country during World War II, but wouldn’t you be even slightly relieved that you could stay home?

    ReplyDelete